Request Your Own Criminal Records

Your official criminal record (RAP Sheet) in California is officially held and maintained by the California Department of Justice (DOJ).  Access to your criminal history records maintained by the DOJ is restricted by law to law enforcement and authorized applicant agencies. Individuals have the right to request a copy of their own criminal history record from the Department to review for accuracy and completeness.  Your criminal record is a confidential document that third parties are not authorized to obtain or have access to it unless you authorize it. 

How to Obtain Your Criminal Record

To receive a copy of YOUR criminal history record, you must submit fingerprint images, pay a $25 processing fee to the DOJ.  Go to the CA Department of Justice website for information on obtaining your California criminal record. 


All California Applicants must submit Live Scan fingerprints.

Fingerprinting services are available at most local police departments, sheriff’s offices or any public applicant Live Scan site.


Applicants Living Outside California/United States must submit manual fingerprint cards

Submit an Application to Obtain Copy of State Summary Criminal History Record.  Please contact your local law enforcement agency for fingerprinting services. Manual submissions must be accompanied by either personal check drawn on a U.S. bank, money order or certified check. The check or money order must be made payable to the “California Department of Justice.” Mail your application, fingerprint card and processing fee to:

California Department of Justice
Record Review Unit
P.O. Box 903417
Sacramento, CA 94203-4170

Once you have received your Record Review response, if you want to challenge the contents of your criminal record, you must complete the “Claim of Alleged Inaccuracy or Incompleteness” form which will be included with your Record Review response if there is criminal information on your record. Mail the completed form, along with a copy of your criminal history record, to the address indicated on the form. Your challenge must specifically state the basis for the claim of inaccuracy or incompleteness and include any available proof or corroboration to substantiate your claim.